Instilling a Work Ethic

~~Genesis 2:2By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.~~

~~Genesis 2:15~The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.~~

~~Deuteronomy 5:13~Six days you shall labor and do all your work,~~

~~2 Thessalonians 3:10~For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.~~

There is over 500 verses in the bible that have the word "work" in them. Some of them in the context that I mean to discuss here.

How do we instill a positive work ethic in a society that demands things be handed to them on a silver platter, not only that you should be spoon feeding them as well. EVERYONE is a WINNER society screams! SPREAD THE WEALTH!!!!!!, SHARE, GIVE ME, ME, ME MORE, AND NO I DON'T WANT TO WORK FOR IT, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The selfishness is discus ting, our society has allowed this laziness to take over.
Feminism as a part in this as well. Feminist women have brought their sons up to be weak, and make the woman carry her 'fair share' of the work load. Our roles haves become blurred, with stay at home dads, and woman portraying the "we can have it all" mentality. It goes against our natural desire. Genesis 3:14~To the woman He said: I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; In pain you shall bring forth children;Your desire shall be for your husband, And he shall rule over you.” ~
God created us to be our husbands helper, not the provider. That is the husbands role. We are called to help, uplift, talk of sweet things, so our husband will be known at the gates.

Instead, our society enables woman to let outside work be their calling, not the work of the home. Allow nannies, day cares, grandparents to fill the job of the parents.

I see the Generation X, and Y doing things that I just don't understand. I am a Gen X'er.
But I was raised differently, I was raised that you work for what you want. No work, No treat. Pure and Simple. Most of my life my mom was single mom, she worked hard for OUR NEEDS, not our wants and desires. My mom has always been a hard worker, still is to this day. I envy her ability to do it so well. I think I would have cried everyday that I had to leave my child behind to go to work. I know it wasn't what she wanted, but she did it and she did it well. Thanks Mom!!! :)

We teach all our children to work, and I don't mean gender specific work.. I mean to work in general. Many a times I have sat and handed my husband tools while he worked on our vehicles, or pressed the break pedal down, or heard more about engines then I care too. My daughters have learned how to use a saw and the log splitter, my boys have learned how to cook, do laundry and wash dishes. We each learn each others jobs, so when the time comes and we all need to pitch in, we can.

Last week we had what I like to call a working vacation. We have become close with the campground owners. They are wonderful people. Great with the children, always allowing us to help out in anyway we can.
The campground closed last weekend until spring of next year. There was a lot to be done. We did little odd jobs for them, like raking, leaf blowing, garbage detail, moving picnic tables and fire rings etc.
We do this as a family to, 1. teach the children what it's like to be a business owner. 2. to instill a good work ethic.
We encourage our children to take an Entrepreneurial route in life. My husband and I have had several side business in our 20 years together. From power washing to making candles, our current on is a outdoor movie business. Each business worked for a specific time and then we moved on to what would work for us again. We teach the children each aspect of every business and they all help. No one is ever to small to help, even if that means helping make lunch to serve the older ones that are doing the physical work.
The campground owners complemented us on how hard we worked, she said they felt bad because they saw the progression. What normally takes them 12 hours was done in much less time. But many hands make light work. While I appreciate her complements of how hard we worked the compliment I appreciate the most was when she said, "your kids worked so hard, and with smiles on their faces" . That meant so much to me.
Because we can all do work, begrudgingly or we can do it all for the glory of God. The key is to teach our children and remind ourselves that everything, EVERYTHING we do is for the glory of our Lord and Savior. Even the littlest task of wiping a nose, to a full on campground clean up. It's all for his Glory, His Love to shine through our efforts. If you want to instill a good work ethic, lead by example, work along side your children and remember WHO your doing it for.
Scroll down for pics!! :)
<><>
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Slideshow design created with Smilebox
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

From Our Home to Yours...........
Blessings............................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Temps = Warm Meals

Hubby was in an accident....

Home Love Hammock Style