Friend or Foe?

So I’m a bit of a history nerd, especially American History and I love to use the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary for reference.
My #4 came to me with a friend issue a few days ago and we’ve been discussing this on and off the past few days. But I really wanted to get into it a little deeper.
Friend as defined by Webster 1828, 
Noun
1. One who is attached to another by affection; one who entertains for another sentiments of esteem, respect and affection, which lead him to desire his company and to seek to promote his happiness and prosperity; opposed to foe or enemy.
A friend loveth at all times. Proverbs 17:17
I love this definition!
A friend doesn’t seek to destroy our reputation, our self-image or us as a person.
Thus meaning we don’t actively talk negative about someone directly in front of them or behind their backs. My girl has had to deal with this. Mutual friends don’t laugh or like Instagram or Facebook shares that are directed at another friend.
A friend seeks to spend time with you. Quality time. I think the perception of social media has almost made it seem that quality time is unnecessary to maintain a healthy friendship. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. I have fond memories of being tied to the kitchen while chatting with a friend on the telephone for hours at night after school.
Meeting my best friend outside so we could sit under a tree and talk for hours, ride bikes together, sometimes we would just be. But there was a physical connection. Social media is making it less about a physical connection and more about see what I’m doing.. watch me…. Isn’t my life grand?? In the meantime they are staging selfies!
A friend seeks to encourage you. (1 Thess. 5:11) and build
you up.
A friendship isn’t self-seeking or non-committal. Proverbs 18:24 states that one who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin.
And why is that, because friends are meant to be a blessing.
Iron sharpens Iron.(Proverbs 27:17)
We talked about how walking with the wise gives you wisdom, for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
How hard it is to navigate friends as a teenager when adults can’t manage to get this right at times.
Two Pieces of important information I hope she gained from our discussion.
1. Bad Company corrupts good character. (1 Corn. 15:33)
2. A sweet friendship refreshes the soul. (Proverbs 27:9)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Temps = Warm Meals

Hubby was in an accident....

Home Love Hammock Style