Calico Beans

This is NOT a Chili, not matter what you say!! This is NOT a Chili!!! :)

Ok, so try this out, it's fantastic..We ate it as a side and a lot of people at the bbq we were at, put it on their hot dogs!!!

Big hit!!!


4 ounces bacon, diced~yeah right, I did a pound!
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)~80% is fine.
1/2 cup chopped onion~whole onion
1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained~you can use a "chili" variety
1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup packed brown sugar~I used Damara!
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar~I did 2!
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt

I made this in my cast iron pot, ok I'm on a new kick..loving my cast iron!!!!

fry the bacon, drain the grease almost all the way but not totally. -throw bacon in crockpot. :)
add the onion, once it starts to get soft and brown..add the ground beef
Let that cook till no longer pink then add all the beans, and the rest of ingredients. After I mixed it all up, i threw it in the crockpot on low to basically keep warm.!!!

Sooo good! Now, You can use "chili" beans for this recipe, I did. But again this is NOT a chili!! ;) Can't you tell I got flack, that this was a chili??? :)

Anywho, It went super with hot dogs, I ate it for breakfast the following day but I'm weird like that. I can also imagine with with cornbread or biscuits over top of it!! The possibilities are endless!!!

Enjoy!!!
<3
Carrie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Temps = Warm Meals

Hubby was in an accident....

Home Love Hammock Style